Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Day 3: The Calculus of Self: Avoiding the Inferno

Today, we wrote about the Calculus of Self, focusing on acceleration and deceleration. Our reading came from the new book, CUZ, by Danielle Allen.
A very powerful text that explain's Dante's Inferno

We discussed Dante's Inferno:




It was wonderful to write with you today. I was able to pen the following piece:

The Calculus of Self: Avoiding the Inferno
By A.W. Tatum
October 16, 2017
12:08pm
Why calculus? The Inferno has me trapped in the curve rocking back and forth between good and evil, love and hate. If they can convince me that I have no name; they can convince me that my life is not worth living. Each time “I survive I am step closer to a full awakening of myself.” Each step allows my soul to move from darkness to light. I refuse to just survive. I want to exist. Like Dante, I refuse to be trapped forever. I am tired of being in conflict with myself on this journey of life. Instead of abandoning hope, I will continue to find a way out. In today’s reading, four things stood out to me. 1) The dead are trapped forever, but the living has a way out. This stood out because I am convinced that for each dark moment there is light if I remain resilient and take greater authority over my own life. The second line that stood out to me was, "we are reduced to numbers and stripped of our identities." This is a means to keep anyone with the potential to be great, mentally enslaved. I believe that you can control a man’s body by controlling his mind. The third sentence that stood out to me is "we are tried and tested every day." This can wear on one’s soul if there are more defeats than victories. I agree with the author when he writes, "mentally, the suffering is unbearable." Reading this piece today inspired me to write a poem for self:

Damn you Inferno.
I control my rate - accelerate
I control me fate  - accelerate
Your funky curve has me dizzy and confused
This is my life to use and not be used
I create my own number
It’s one more time
It’s one more chance
I am in control of my Inferno dance
To hell with your hell
This is my life to dwell
To Dante’s Inferno
To hell with your hell

Calculate that with your calculus.

Thank you for your writings below:
The Calculus of Self: Avoiding the Inferno

Change can be accelerated or decelerated. This is the lesson of calculus. In the text I read - we who are in prison, had to answer for our sins and our lifes were taken from us. This text stood out to me because alot of the people incarcerated feel like since there in jail they are bad people and have to pay. When in reality they can still have hope for change. Another text that stood out to me was "my number is my name. I am K-10033." People who go to jail can be seen as files, or "state property" to other people in society. I've also read that he said, "mentally, the suffering is unbearable." I can relate to the text because at times when I was locked up I felt my state of mind being tortured and felt like nothing was ever going to change. He even wrote there is no sure thing as surviving, barely existing. I know how he feels because when you're in jail the outside world doesn't have nothing to do with you at the moment. You feel as if you passed away because you are in a whole different world. I feel that the person who went through this accelerated even in his hell.

S1T

The Calculus of Self: Avoiding the Inferno
I was born into the inferno. I was raised in the trenches. My calculus has always been the same rate. I can't seem to accelerate. I convinced myself, I'll never accelerate. It's like I have a voice in my head telling me to give up. Physically and emotionally exhausted, I have a serious problem. It's going to take some resilience to resolve it. Multifelon my 8th grade teacher called it. I got shot twice but it wasn't my time. I called on god and he saved my life. I got shot again. It still wasn't my time. After that day I made change in my life. I ain't saying I'm perfect but I pray every night. Some people don't take the inferno seriously for the simple fact, some never experienced deceleration into the pits of the inferno. Anyone with the potential to be great are mentally enslaved by people that fear you. Where I'm from, there is no such thing as surviving, just barely existing. Everyday is a battle with myself and everyone around me. I can't help but to judge those around me. I am one of them but we are far from the same. In the inferno, the dead are trapped forever. I'm still alive but feel dead inside. I will rise to survive. 

S2N

The Calculus of Self: Avoiding the Inferno:

1. Dante inferno creates an all too detailed visualization of hell.
2. Virgil and Dante walking through hell. in my opinion Hell is underrated.
3. I live in prison which to me is Hell. The souls are in pits which are guarded by beasts and demons.
4. Our bodies become the property of the state of California.
5. We are reduced to numbers and stripped of our identity. 

S3B

The Calculus of Self

Change is different in many ways. To change is to different. Sometimes change comes to you first. life has so many routes and alleys. the inferno is  the deepest dullest part state of a person. My emotions are very different from dantes. I am filled with anger and rage. As I build my anger for a few days I begin to think of a way to release my rage onto the world but as I think the inferno crosses my mind. Some days I forget about it and step into the bottomless pit, but I always catch myself before I fall all the way in. I am held be a rope. So I refrain myself and come closer to the other end of the rope. I feel the rope losing its integrity. I find myself pushing on and on. Pulling will only make it worse. As I come inches close to the light, I see a showdown. I don't know who it is. It's hard to keep pushing. The moment I am about to give up, I get a vision but it's not physical I can't see it. It's more a feeling. But, it feels real. When I come down of the mental high, I have all the energy to get out of the hole only for a few days. The Inferno will never go away. 

S4N

The Calculus of Self: Avoiding the Inferno

  • Dante's Inferno creates an all too detailed visualization of Hell and what it may be. Why it stood out to me because I witnessed it myself.
  • They Bleed in pain when so much of a branch is broken or bush is trampled by dogs. 
  • Lust becomes a sin when it is against Human nature.
  • My Flesh is like the wasters who are fighting against the hoarder of Circle 4.
For me to avoid the inferno is to continue to moving forward, stay in school, get a job, and so for on.

S5W

The Calculus of Self: Avoiding the Inferno:

  • Calculus can be accelerated or decelerated depending on the concept such as the Inferno. It can be easier to decelerate or just allow yourself to be stuck in Hell. Or as in the text, "There are most whom I despise who are truly sick beyond healing and they should never leave this place." There are some who are so sick they would never accelerate a way out. They start to get comfortable inside of the Inferno. There are also, "Those who await to fulfill their destiny." Because "Hell cannot hold the latter of the two opposites  but in time will only spit them back out into society to do what's right." So for some, it was just an error to overcome a challenging obstacle. My opinion about the text is that you can either allow yourself to overcome obstacles or decelerate. 
S6N

The Calculus of Self: Avoiding the Inferno

Why am I writing this? He is still going to be the same men when he come home. 
ex: When I was locked up, all that was on my mind was getting my life together and getting out of the City. 

S7S



No comments:

Post a Comment